Lynnwood Veterinary Hospital is proud to serve Edmonton and area pet owners. Our professional staff is trained in all areas of animal care and are committed to your pet's health and wellness.
We are open Monday through Friday 8am until 6pm, Saturday 8:30am until 5:30pm. Contact us by phone (780.484.6672), fax (780.486.1499) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make an appointment for your pet. We strive to provide the most comfortable and positive experience available!
Easter Safety tips
“Unbeknownst to many pet owners, Easter lilies are highly toxic to cats,” “All parts of the Easter lily plant are poisonous – the petals, the leaves, the stem and even the pollen. Cats that ingest as few as one or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure.”
In most situations, symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures.
There are several other types of lilies that are toxic to cats as well. They are of the Lilium and Hemerocallis species and commonly referred to as Tiger lilies, Day lilies and Asiatic lilies. Popular in many gardens and yards, they can also result in severe acute kidney failure. These lilies are commonly found in florist bouquets, so it is imperative to check for poisonous flowers before bringing bouquets into the household.
Thankfully, lily poisoning does not occur in dogs or people. However, if a large amount is ingested, it can result in mild gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Usually green or yellow in color, Easter grass is the fake grass that often accompanies Easter baskets. When your pet ingests something “stringy” like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. It can result in a linear foreign body and cause severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal surgery.
While the occasional chocolate chip in one cookie may not be an issue, certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. The chemical toxicity is due to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine) and results in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death. Other sources include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.
Spring is in the air and Easter is a wonderful holiday. Remember that your pets will be curious about new items you bring into your household like Easter lilies, Easter grass and chocolate. Keep them a safe distance away from your pets’ reach and enjoy the holiday and the season.
February is Dental Month
Lynnwood Veterinary Hospital is excited to offer a dental package for Dental Month!
call us for more details and to book your pets dental.
Dental Night Seminar
OUR SISTER CLINIC, TUDOR GLEN VETERINARY HOSPITAL IS HOLDING A DENTAL NIGHT SEMINAR
1005 TUDOR GLEN PLACE, ST. ALBERT
DENTAL NIGHT SEMINAR
Thursday, February 12, 2015
The "tooth" about dental disease, pets need dental care too!
Come join us for a complimentary evening to learn about caring for your pets oral health, receive
information on our dental package, see a demonstration on how to brush your pets teeth, plus lots of dental goodies to take home!
Please email email@example.com to book your spot, space is limited and this was a quick sell out last year!
Refreshments will be served and this is a human only evening. We look forward to seeing you there!
Keep up to date on pet news and events by subscribing to our monthly newsletter, enter your name & email address and click subscribe.